Dog Trivia? Why not.
Based on an average life span of 11 years, the cost of owning a dog is $13,350.
Dogs only sweat from the bottoms of their feet, the only way they
can discharge heat is by panting. Dogs and wolves
yawn as a sign of contentment.
Dogs have about 100 different facial expressions, most of
them made with the ears. Unfortunately, the likes of bulldogs
and pitbulls only have 10, due to their breeding. Therefore, these
dogs easily get misinterpreted by other dogs and often get into fights.
One of the worlds oldest breeds of dog is the Saluki.
It is thought to have been developed in ancient
Mesopotamia around 3000 B.C.
"Three dog night" (attributed to Australian Aborigines) came
about because on especially cold nights these nomadic
people needed three dogs (dingos, actually) to keep from freezing.
A dog's sense of smell is one of the keenest in nature.
If a pot of stew was cooking on a stove, a human would
smell the stew, while the dog could smell the beef, carrots,
peas, potatoes, spices, and all the other individual ingredients
in the stew. In fact, if you unfolded and laid out the delicate
membranes from inside a dogs nose, the
membranes would be larger than the dog itself.
It was recently discovered that dogs DO see in color,
just not as vivid as the color that humans see.
Two dogs survived the sinking of Titanic, yes that's right,
two DOGS survived. They escaped on early lifeboats
carrying so few people that no one objected.
Miss Margaret Hays of New York brought her Pomeranian
with her in lifeboat No. 7, while Henry Sleeper Harper
of the publishing family boarded boat
No. 3 with his Pekinese, Sun Yat Sen.
Giving dogs chocolate could be fatal for them, because
theobromine, an ingredient of chocolate, stimulates the centra
l nervous system and cardiac muscle. About 1.1 kg of milk
chocolate or just 146 g of cooking chocolate
(which has more theobromine per gram) could kill a 22 kg dog.
In the original 101 Dalmatians movie, Pongo has 72 spots,
Perdita has 68 and each of the puppies has 32.
# Twelve veterinary science students from the University of Sydney
set a record bathing dogs when they scrubbed 848 dogs in eight hours.
# The real hero of the 1925 Serum Run was really Togo.
The 12 year old husky led his sled dog team through 260 miles
of blowing Alaskan blizzard to deliver emergency diphtheria
serum to Nome. Balto received most of the fame
because he led the final 55 miles.
# The first search and rescue dog on the scene of the
World Trade Center disaster on September 11. 2001,
was Bear, an 11 year old Golden Retriever. He began recovery
efforts immediately, working 18 hour days in the beginning.
# Endal, a yellow Lab, helped rehabilitate a Gulf War veteran.
He also saved Allen’s life, when Allen was struck by a car
and knocked from his wheelchair, unconscious. Endal pulled
him into the recovery position, covered him with a blanket and
grabbed his cell phone. After no response,
he walked to a nearby hotel and raised the alarm.
A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........
1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
~Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.
Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters.
~Now please pass this on to other pet owners. We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!
Courtesy of the Comedy Zone